Hello Playful People – welcome to our first round-up and the official launch of our new website!
Upcoming Playful Opportunities:
- The next Playful Learning Association face to face event is Nov 21st/22nd at the University of Manchester. Booking will open in October.
- Game Library Camp – Leeds Central Library, Sat 9th November
Member Darren Edwards says “our call for proposals is still open and it would be good to get a learning focused session” see: https://librarycamp.game.blog/
- What else is coming up this year? Check the 2019/20 diary – and look out for the bi-annual elections for PLA Chair coming up in October.
What did you miss?
- 4th – 6th April 2019 was the Counterplay Festival in Aarhus, Denmark – here’s a conference report from Jess Haigh
- 10th-12th July 2019 was the Playful Learning Conference in Leicester, UK. 3 days of inspiring ideas and discussion on learning. As Jenn said…
Reading and Writing:
Some new articles from the Journal of Play in Adulthood
- Giving Permission for Adults to Play – Andrew Walsh
- Book review for The Librarians’ Book on Teaching through Games and Play – Vicky Bird
- Book review for Playful Learning, Events and Activities to Engage Adults – Clare Thomsom
Fancy getting your work published? The PLA encourages you to submit your work!
Meet Giskin! Each month we will introduce a PLA member through 5 photos telling their Playful Learning journey. This month we feature Giskin Day, Principal Teaching Fellow, Imperial College London. Read Giskin’s story of penguins, puzzles and pirates.
That’s all for now, to share your news in the September round-up, just comment below or use #PlayLearn on Twitter.